Intelligent systems are rapidly gaining ground in the world, partly due to the development of cloud computing. One of the cutting-edge technologies in this field is the SAP Cloud Platform (SCP). This is a platform as a Service (PaaS) that doesn’t just provide cloud as a resource but several different services, many of which are specifically designed to support IoT based application development.
The aim of this project is to use this platform to develop an intelligent parking system that can manage the sensors located in SAP’s underground garage. Apart from the implementation of this cloud-based software, it was also necessary to create an interface between the sensors and SCP, using a Raspberry Pi also located underground. Finally, the system required a simple UI that could be used to configure and test the back-end. The following tasks were accomplished in the duration of the diploma project:
• Successful research into similar solutions, gathering ideas that aided the project in several areas.
• The Python script that serves as an interface between the cloud and the sensor system.
• A Java cloud application that implements bidirectional communication with the sensors and automates data processing.
• A reservation function for the parking spaces based on the bidirectional communication mentioned above.
• Finally, an SAPUI5 application for configuring and testing the back-end.