During my work I have been working on a PV off-grid energy storage simulation program which helps to determine the adequate size of the needed energy storage capacity for off-grid and for partly off-grid PV systems. To start the simulation, first I had to simulate the solar radiation power to a given surface taking into consideration the weather local parameters. Furthermore, I have written a daily temperature simulation generating function based on the daily average temperature and the daily temperature amplitude. Channeling these two input parameters into the PV system matrix, I was able to determine the daily PV energy production and taking into considerations the demand profile I could calculate the storable amount of energy for off-grid and for partly off-grid PV systems. As the matter of fact, I made economic price forecast to the domestic German electric energy and PV feed-in energy. Using the results of the simulations I was able to calculate the initial return rate of small scale PV project and by using the results of the forecast I could make long term predictions about long term economic liability of such PV systems.
My second tack was the PV Energy Simulation of the BME-1 pocketqube in the software called Matlab was to achieve a credible result for the cycle PV Energy, but to be honest it was not such a easy task. The first problem which I encountered, it was that I had to give some kind of results to the team in the early stages of the planning; however, the structure of the satellite was not even close to the finish. It resulted a lot of simulation models, which were, so to say, not so accurate, but as the planning continued the simulation model followed it. Indeed, it was an evolution of the Simulation which still did not stop, just reached an acceptable level. Unfortunately, there was a few missing parameters about the structure of the satellite and about the PV cells, which I managed to get from the literature. As the matter fact, I even used a 3D design software called SkecthUp to simulate the shading of the PV cells and a software called PVSYST to create the PV module parameters of the satellite. In summary, I managed to fill the gaps of the simulation in Matlab and hopefully get a little conservative, but credible results.